Monday, January 15, 2024

Underwater Tests of Five Different Soft Stickbaits

I love fishing soft stickbaits like the Yamamoto Senko from the time ice leaves our lakes until it returns each year. 

Why? 

Simply put, they catch bass under almost any condition!

I'm also like most bass anglers that are always interested in new baits even it's just another company's version of a popular bait like the Senko. Though I always try and do my own on the water comparisons between similar baits even weighing the baits before I hit the water and conducting rudimentary sink rate tests when on it, it's great to find videos where other anglers have done more intense underwater testing.

A few days ago I came across this video where bass pro Mark Fisher conducted underwater tests of 5 different 5" soft stickbait brands evaluating them for relative sink rate, wobble while sinking, durability, cost/bait and notes on scents. The brands include the Senko, Yum Dinger, Berkley Maxscent General, Strike King Ocho and BPS Stik-O.

Though there were a few hiccups relative to scent content and relative costs which he addressed in a later video, his efforts produced some great insight regarding sink rate, wobble and durability for sure. Take a few minutes and watch the following video to see what I mean...

I thought it was pretty cool that after my own testing I found the BPS Stik-O has the closest fall characteristics yet more durable to the Senko as well. Both are the most prevalent soft stickbaits you'll find in my soft stickbait bag :)

Check out more of Mark's videos by clicking on the link below:

Mark Fisher YouTube Channel

You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment